Reinventing the Need for Speed franchise was always going to be a bit of a gamble for EA, but it seems that the risk has paid off with Xbox 360, PS3, PC and PSP outing Need for Speed: Shift racing straight to the top of the ELSPA GfK-ChartTrack All Formats Top 40.
Sales fell in favour of the PS3, which accounted for 52 per cent of the game's activity over its opening weekend. Xbox 360 claimed 44 per cent with the remainder split between PC and PSP.
There's another new entry in the Top 10, too, in the form of Bethesda's over-the-top action romp WET entering the listings in a very respectable sixth position.
Here's the ELSPA GfK-ChartTrack All Formats UK Top 10 (for the week ending September 19th):
1. Need for Speed: Shift (EA)
2. Guitar Hero 5 (Activision)
3. Colin McRae: Dirt 2 (Codemasters)
4. Batman: Arkham Asylum (Eidos)
5. Wii Sports Resort (Nintendo)
6. WET (Bethesda)
7. The Beatles: Rock Band (EA)
8. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (Activision)
9. Wii Fit (Nintendo)
10. Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10 (EA)