Nintendo's new all-star outing for Mario Party hasn't been enough to outdo Sega's latest virtual gangster offering in Japan.
According to the latest data from Famitsu, Sega's Yakuza 0: Chikai no Basho topped the software charts last week. The PS3 release of the title outsold its PS4 counterpart by almost 60,000 units to take the Number One spot.
Despite this, the PS4 once again remained the best-selling console in Japan. The PS3, which is nearing its ninth birthday in the region, climbed one place higher than the previous week, narrowly overtaking Nintendo's New 3DS system.
Meanwhile, Sony's Vita handheld stayed solid in second place, unit sales rising slightly to land within a hair's breadth of 21,000 units.
This is likely thanks to the release of Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth on the platform; the game placed third in the software rankings during its debut week.
Coming in fourth was the latest all-star outing for Nintendo's Mario Party brand, in the form of Mario Party 10.
The launch of the multiplayer-focused Wii U exclusive also seemed to have little effect on sales of Nintendo's latest home console, as Wii U sales only rose by around 400 units, with no change in position; the console was once again Japan's sixth-best-selling console for the week.
Another new entry into the Japanese market last week was Broccoli's Uta no Prince-sama: All Star After Secret for the PSP. The title occupied the middle of the software Top Ten at Number Five, selling over 46,600 units.
The only other new game on shelves was Bandai Namco'sAnsatsu Kyoshitsu: Korosensei Daihoimo!! for the 3DS, which placed seventh.
Here's the full software Top Ten for the week ending March 15th:
- Yakuza 0: Chikai no Basho (Sega) PS3 – 161,179 (New)
- Yakuza 0: Chikai no Basho (Sega) PS4 – 101,656 (New)
- Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth (Bandai Namco) Vita – 53,495 (New)
- Mario Party 10 (Nintendo) Wii U – 51,452 (New)
- Uta no Prince-sama: All Star After Secret (Broccoli) PSP – 46,644 (New)
- Dragon Quest Heroes: Yamiryu to Sekaiju no Shiro (Square Enix) PS3 – 32,688
- Ansatsu Kyoshitsu: Korosensei Daihoimo!! (Bandai Namco) 3DS – 24,457 (New)
- The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D (Nintendo) 3DS – 15,135
- Yokai Watch 2: Shinuchi (Level 5) 3DS – 13,464
- Dragon Quest Heroes: Yamiryu to Sekaiju no Shiro (Square Enix) PS4 – 12,576
And here's the weekly hardware rankings:
- PS4 – 30,647
- PS Vita – 20,996
- New Nintendo 3DS XL – 16,075
- PS3 – 6,579
- New Nintendo 3DS – 6,537
- Wii U – 6,333
- Nintendo 3DS XL – 2,016
- Nintendo 3DS – 1,839
- PS Vita TV – 545
- Xbox One – 446