So I have my company set up and I have a couple of game ideas – the next main hurdle is to find some code resource to work with.
To start with, I’ve decided that I want to do something for iPhone and iPad and want to use the Unity3D engine.
I’ve spent some time over the past few months looking at different game engines and have come to the decision to use Unity. After all, it looked like it could do everything I would want it to do, there were lots of tutorials and a good forum for discussions on Unity’s website and it came highly recommended from a few friends of mine.
I registered on the Unity website and started to read through the forum. There’s loads of information on there and is a great place to start out.
I started off with a post asking for people to collaborate on a project with me. I saw that there were a few other similar posts, but given my background and experience, I thought it was worth a go. I saw quite a few people looking for paid work, and the odd collaboration, so I crossed my fingers and waited for replies.
Next day, I had a few replies on the forum, so I struck up a conversation with the various programmers and we started to chat about what I was looking for. Over two weeks or so I had narrowed down the list to a few possible people to work with and I had ruled out all the people just looking for paid work.
The main problem that I had was that I needed to find people to collaborate with me for two reasons. The first was because I couldn’t really afford to pay lots of people salaries for months (salaries for more than one person soon add up). And the second reason was that I wanted my partners to have a stake in the game and a real reason to get it finished. I wanted to avoid people dropping out as much as possible and leaving me with something that I could do nothing with.
This brought my first two weeks in business to a close. I had a few game ideas cooking along nicely and I had started discussions with a few programmers that looked pretty positive. It seemed that there were quite a few interested parties, so all I needed was to continue the discussions, look at people’s backgrounds and try to find my programmer.
END OF WEEK TWO
Total money spent so far: £250
Problems to solve: No programmers