All this month we’ve been running New Year New Job 2014, a collection of special articles focused around every aspect of games including Get That Job Daily. But that has been the mere prelude to this: the Recruitment Special of Develop magazine.
In our February issue, available today, you’ll find our 23-page careers guide encompassing the results of our annual salary survey, an in-depth guide to freelance and contract work, plus a special roundtable of experienced recruiters explaining exactly what they look for in new hires. This is all rounded off with our A To Z of Games Recruitment, giving you an overview of the most important steps in establishing or progressing your development career.
And that’s not all – this issue also marks the debut of our new #DevelopJobs section. Announced earlier this month, this six-page guide to the jobs market gives you an insight into the latest personnel news, a behind-the-scenes look at some of the world’s most notable studios and the latest vacancies from our Develop Jobs board.
Quite happy with your career? Don’t worry, there’s plenty to interest you in our latest issue. We have our first regular column from former Criterion exec Alex Ward, an FAQ with Respawn’s Vince Zampella, and an in-depth look at Synchronicity, the new performance capture collaboration between Side, Cubic Motion and 3Lateral.
Full contents of this issue can be found below.
The print edition of our February issue is on its way to subscribers. Not a subscriber? No problem – you can read Develop through your browser and on iPad. The iPad or digital version of the magazine costs just £14.99 a year, or your can buy the February issue for a one-off payment of £1.99.
The iPad edition also features video demonstations of the Synchronicity performance capture tech demo and Zero Dependency’s new Chimera engine, plus the trailer for Vita hit Tearaway.
The print issue is currently being delivered across the globe to studios and individuals throughout the industry. If you don’t already receive it, you can subscribe to receive the print edition each month right here.
The latest issue features:
- RECRUITMENT SPECIAL
- Salary Survey 2014: Find out if you’re being underpaid as we analyse the results of our annual study into pay and working conditions in the global development community.
- The hunt for talent: Leading UK recruitment experts discuss the real issues facing the jobs market, and how applicants can guarantee they get noticed.
- The A to Z of Games Recruitment: An overview of seeking that perfect job or finding star hires, including CV, interview and portfolio tips.
- Breaking freelance: A step-by-step guide to starting your career as a freelancer, packed with expert advice from the industry.
- New #DevelopJobs section: Your six-page monthly guide to the best jobs available, as well as old favourites such as Recruiter Hot Seat and Get That Job.
- Criterion co-founder Alex Ward writes his first column for Develop.
- FAQ with Respawn CEO Vince Zampella.
- Find out how Alien: Isolation helped Creative Assemly attract talent from Rockstar, Lionhead and Ubisoft.
- Rick Gibson debates the practicalities of bringing your game to every platform.
- From indie to in-house: We talk to Press Play about how Max & The Magic Marker led to a Microsoft acquisition.
- Side, Cubic Motion and 3Lateral joins forces to change the face of performance capture with their Synchronicity tech demo.
- Zero Dependency talks about its new Chimera engine.
- We take a look at Allegorithmic’s new physically-based rendering tool Substance Designer 4.
- Gravity Interactive reveals why it chose Unreal Engine 3 for its iOS RPG Tower of Ascension.
- Media Molecule’s Kenny Young discusses the inspiration behind the soundtrack to Vita hit Tearaway.
- Pitbull’s Matthew Griffin explains why, despite stories of crunch, he’s glad to be back in games development.