Every day in January we’re helping job-hunters and employers with advice and tips from the industry’s finest developers, experts, HR and recruitment execs on a range of topics.
Today we bring you guidance on motivating your staff and keeping them on board with essential tips from Katharina Hautz, project manager on Crysis 2.
Crytek’s tips for motivating staff
• Take your team seriously and listen to what they have to say.
• Talk to them on a regular basis. That sounds easy but is forgotten easily as well. The impact is huge.
• Make sure your team talks to each other, so they understand the bigger picture and have the motivation of caring about the bigger picture.
• Give them responsibility and hold them responsible.
• Include their expertise instead of setting up a theoretical plan.
• Don’t be afraid to make mistakes and to let the team make mistakes. Discuss them afterwards and find a way to make it better the next time.
• Don’t lie to your team.
• Acknowledge what they are doing and praise them, if they did something well.
• Don’t make a difference between yourself and the team. Either you are one team or not.
• Improve little things you can easily improve to make everyone feel better. The little things count. Smile, say hello, say happy birthday, let them stay with their sick child and work from home if necessary. Make the work environment an environment they like and feel taken care off.
Our daily ‘New Year, New Jobs’ series of articles are extracted from the forthcoming February issue of Develop magazine, which boasts an essential compendium of advice, tips and tricks on getting a new job and improving your employment prospects. The same issue will bring you all the results from our sweeping games industry Salary Survey. Check back with Develop Online every day this month for more.
To find out more about advertising opportunities in February’s Develop contact Alex.Boucher@intentmedia.co.uk or call him on +44 (0) 1992 535 646.