The first speakers for our debut Develop Live conference have been confirmed, with British crime writer Christopher Brookmyre leading the line-up.
Due to be held on October 2nd, Develop Live is the first event of its type to be organised and curated by the team behind Develop magazine and its website.
In a session entitled 'From novel to game and back again', Scottish author Brookmyre will be discussing his latest novel Bedlam, which he is currently adapting into a video game with the help of Brighton indie dev RedBedlam.
“Working with games developers has been one of the most creatively rewarding experiences of my writing career, so I’m thrilled to be invited to talk about the process at Develop Live – and I’m particularly delighted that I’ll be doing so at the first Develop event in Scotland,” said Brookmyre.
The writer is just one of a wave of speakers confirmed for Develop Live, which include experts from DeltaDNA, Dimensional Imaging, Speech Graphics, Newcastle University, Ludometrics, Outplay Entertainment, Chunk and more.
More sessions, including the first Develop Live keynote, will be announced in the coming weeks. The full list of sessions confirmed so far can be found below.
Tickets cost £149, with discounts available for students as well as UKIE and TIGA members. You can book your place at www.develop-live.com, or find out if you are elligible for discount by emailing James.Batchelor@intentmedia.co.uk.
Abertay University is supporting Develop Live as event partner, while new consumer event Game Expo Scotland is media partner.
To find out more about our competitive sponsorship packages, contact Alex.Boucher@intentmedia.co.uk or call him on 01992 535647.
Sessions confirmed so far include:
- From novel to game and back again – Christopher Brookmyre, author
- From pocket money to Flappy Bird and beyond: Things to know about copyright and games – Dr Daithi Mac Sithigh, Newcastle University & Dr Tom Phillips, University of East Anglia
- R.E.S.P.E.C.T., find out what it means to free (to play) – Tony Gowland, Outlplay Entertainment
- Art Outsourcing: A facial animation production pipeline – Dr Gregor Hofer, Speech Graphics
- Why players don't spend in F2P games. And how to change this – Chris Wright, DeltaDNA
- Facial performance capture goes 4D – Colin Urquhart, Dimensional Imaging
- Selfish creativity – David Thomson, Ludometrics
- How to build a one man band – Nicoll Hunt, I Fight Bears
- Designing responsive cross-platform games – Graham Dobie, Chunk
- Hoots Mon: Finding your way in an increasingly diverse games development marketplace… with a puppet owl – James Parker, Ground Shatter
- How sound should sound: Round 2 – Eden Morrison, Abertay University graduate
- Gaming for good: The application of video games in modern medicine – Cilein Kearns, medical illustrator and app developer
- Accessibility: Pitfalls, successes and business cases – Ian Hamilton, UX designer and accessibility specialist
You can find out more information at www.develop-live.com.