North-London based indie outfit Rocksteady Studios has seen off strong competition to win the Studio of the Year prize at the 2009 VGA awards.
In order to take top prize at the event – which was held at the LA Live complex in California – Rocksteady needed to outshine co-nominees Infinity Ward, Naughty Dog and Valve.
But the Batman: Arkham Asylum developers pulled off a fantastic surprise win, though also brought with it some controversy.
The studio, like Naughty Dog, had only released a single game this year, and yet Naughty Dog’s Uncharted 2 won the Game of the Year award on the same night.
The win for Rocksteady was coupled with the announcement of its new secret project, Batman: Arkham Asylum 2.
However, it will be Warner that will publish Rocksteady’s sequel across the globe, and not the game’s first publisher, Eidos.
It's not a surprising move from Warner, which has been open about its aspirations in the games sector. With such a rich stable of IP in its pocket, it's understandable that it should want to try and do for games what its 2008 blockbuster The Dark Knight did for movies.
“We are thrilled to build a global game franchise from Batman: Arkham Asylum, which is receiving an incredible response from gamers and Batman fans around the world,” Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment president Martin Tremblay stated.
“Rocksteady has taken Batman to a new level in the video game space and we are committed to delivering a sequel the fans will love.”
Rocksteady Studios game director Safton Hill added: "Getting the opportunity to create Batman: Arkham Asylum and seeing its success has been a dream come true for the team.
"We are honoured to create the next chapter in this compelling story and promise to deliver another game worthy of the Dark Knight.”
Full list of winners can be found below the new Arkham Asylum trailer.
• Game of the Year: Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
• Studio of the Year: Rocksteady Studios
• Best Independent Game Fueld by Dew: Flower
• Best Xbox 360 Game: Left 4 Dead 2
• Best PS3 Game: Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
• Best Wii Game: New Super Mario Bros. Wii
• Best PC Game: Dragon Age: Origins
• Best Handheld Game: Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars
• Best Shooter: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
• Best Fighting Game: Street Fighter IV
• Best Action Adventure Game: Assassin's Creed II
• Best RPG: Dragon Age: Origins
• Best Multiplayer Game: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
• Best Individual Sports Game: UFC 2009 Undisputed
• Best Team Sports Game: NHL 10
• Best Driving Game: Forza Motorsport 3
• Best Music Game: The Beatles: Rock Band
• Best Soundtrack: DJ Hero
• Best Original Score: Halo 3: ODST
• Best Graphics: Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
• Best Game Based On A Movie/TV Show: South Park Let's Go Tower Defense Play!
• Best Performance By A Human Female: Megan Fox as Mikaela Banes in Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen
• Best Performance By A Human Male: Hugh Jackman as Wolverine in X-Men Origins: Wolverine
• Best Cast: X-Men Origins: Wolverine
• Best Voice: Jack Black for the voice of Eddie Riggs in Brütal Legend
• Best Downloadable Game: Shadow Complex
• Best DLC: Grand Theft Auto IV: The Ballad of Gay Tony
• Most Anticipated Game of 2010: God of War III