Sony has refined its famous DualShock controller for its newly revealed next generation system, PlayStation 4.
Known as the DualShock 4, the wireless controller has been reshaped to make it more ergonomic and includes new features that aim to improve its value to gameplay and connecting users with fellow gamers.
It is supported by a new PlayStation 4 Eye camera that will track the controller’s movements in 3D space.
The new controller is composed of a highly sensitive six-axis sensor, as well as a touch pad found on the front of the controller, which aims to offer gamers completely new ways to interact with games. The left and right sticks and the trigger buttons have been reshaped to give them greater control.
At the heart of this new controller are social sharing features. The new controller includes its own dedicated Share button, which allows players to easily broadcast their gameplay in real-time to friends through internet streaming services, such as Ustream. Users will also be able to share their accomplishments by uploading video gameplay to Facebook, and all without the need to convert data formats.
The PlayStation controllers Select and Start buttons have now been mapped to a single Options button.
A luminous blue strap, known as the ‘light bar’, on the top contains three colour LEDs that illuminate in various hues. The light bar illuminates to match the colour of characters in a game to offer a simpler way to identify players, particularly when playing side by side. The light bar also changes patterns during gameplay to provide useful information to gamers, such as when a character is critically low on health or has taken near fatal damage.
In addition, the DualShock 4 will come with a built-in speaker and stereo headset jack, enabling PS4 users to experience crisp sound effects of games from both the TV and also the controller. And a Mono Headset is also planned to be bundled with PS4 to allowing gamers to chat with friends online, while still hearing sound effects from the controller in hand.
Additionally, the controller can be charged while PS4 is on standby, through a dedicated charging station or with smartphone charger via USB.
PlayStation 4 Eye
As well as the next-gen DualShock, Sony revealed the PlayStation 4 Eye, a newly developed camera for PS4, which incorporates two high-sensitive cameras that have wide-angle lenses capable of recognising the depth of space accurately.
Using this new peripheral, the PS4 can sense the colour of the DualShock 4’s light bar to judge the positions of multiple players, and set characters in the same positions or let a character talk to a particular player.
PlayStation 4 Eye also has the ability to cut out the image of a player from the background, or to grasp players’ position in front and behind, further broadening the interactive experiences position.
Sony also promises that users will be able to login to their PS4 with face recognition and use their own gestures or voices to enjoy games more intuitively.
The sensor bar also supports PlayStation Move, and Sony promises that it will reflects players’ in-game motions more accurately than ever.
DualShock 4 wireless controller specifications
- External Dimensions: Approx. 162mm x 52mm x 98mm (tentative, excludes largest projection)
- Weight: Approx. 210g (tentative)
- Keys / Switches: PS button, SHARE button, OPTIONS button, Directional buttons (Up/Down/Left/Right), Action buttons (Triangle, Circle, Cross, Square), R1/L1/R2/L2 button, Left stick / L3 button, Right stick / R3 button, Pad Button Touch Pad 2 Point Touch Pad, Click Mechanism, Capacitive Type Motion Sensor Six-axis motion sensing system (three-axis gyroscope, three-axis accelerometer)
- Other Features: Light Bar, Vibration, Built-in Mono Speaker Ports USB (Micro B), Extension Port, Stereo Headset Jack Wireless Communication Bluetooth Ver2.1+EDR Battery Type Built-in Lithium-ion Rechargeable Battery Voltage DC3.7V (tentative)
- Capacity: 1000mAh (tentative)
PlayStation 4 Eye specifications
- External Dimensions: Approx. 186mm x 27mm x 27mm (tentative)
- Weight: Approx. 183g (tentative)
- Video Pixel: (Maximum) 1280 x 800 pixel x 2
- Video Framerate: 1280x800 pixel @ 60fps
640x400 pixel @ 120fps
320x192 pixel @ 240fps
- Video Format: RAW, YUV (uncompressed)
- Lens: Dual Lenses, F value/F2.0 fixed focus
- Capture Range: 30cm～∞
- Field-of-View: 85°
- Microphone: 4 Channel Microphone Array
- Connection Type: PS4 dedicated connector (AUX connector)
- Cable Length Approx. 2m (tentative)