Lord of the Rings spin-off Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor debuted in second in the UK software chart last week, failing to knock FIFA 15 from number one.
According to the latest Ukie games charts, compiled by GfK Chart-Track,EA’s football juggernaut saw its second consecutive weekly top spot, holding off competition from the arrival of three new games in the Top Five and the detrimental effect of a 70 per cent drop in total software sales.
FIFA’s biggest contender was Warner Bros’ Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor, which despite being able to claim the chart crown, saw the biggest launch to date for a game based on the Lord of the Rings.
The orc-slashing title saw its biggest audience on PS4, with more than half (56 per cent) of plyers opting for Sony’s latest console. Comparatively, two fifths picked up the Xbox One version of the title, while just three per cent preferred PC.
Joining Mordor was open-world racing sequel Forza Horizon 2, which skidded into third.
Rounding out the Top Five newcomers was the 3DS version of Nintendo’s Super Smash Bros all-star fighting title, which entered at number four.
Former rankings star Destiny has to settle for fifth place, sales falling 30 per cent.
Further down in the charts, the transition of block-building giant Minecraft onto next-gen in the form of Minecraft: PlayStation 4 Edition almost doubles overall sales of Minecraft on PlayStation. Just over a third of the sales were on PS3.
Meanwhile, Minecraft: Xbox Edition drops to eighth, with no change in sales. The Xbox One edition of Minecraft is set for release later this year.
Four months after its release, Ubisoft’s Watch Dogs drops out of the Top 10 for the first time, slipping to number 11.
The only other new entry to break into the Top 40 this week is Focus Home Interactive’s Crimes & Punishments: Sherlock Holmes, which debuts at number 27.
Here’s the software Top 40 for the week ending October 4th:
1. FIFA 15 – EA
2. Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor – Warner Bros
3. Forza Horizon 2 – Microsoft
4. Super Smash Bros for 3DS – Nintendo
5. Destiny – Activision
6. Minecraft: PlayStation Edition – Sony
7. Disney Infinity 2.0 – Disney
8. Minecraft: Xbox Edition – Microsoft
9. Call of Duty: Ghosts – Activision
10. The Sims 4 – EA
11. Watch Dogs – Ubisoft
12. The Lego Movie Videogame – Warner Bros
13. Plants vs Zombies: Garden Warfare – EA
14. Grand Theft Auto V – Rockstar
15. The Last of Us Remastered – Sony
16. Tomodachi Life – Nintendo
17. Lego Marvel Super Heroes – Warner Bros
18. Terraria – 505 Games
19. Fantasy Life – Nintendo
20. Frozen: Olaf’s Quest – GSP/Avanquest
21. Battlefield 4 – EA
22. Hyrule Warriors – Nintendo
23. Wolfenstein: The New Order – Bethesda
24. Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag – Ubisoft
25. Sniper Elite 3 – 505 Games
26. Diablo III: Reaper of Soul – Ultimate Evil Edition – Blizzard
27. Crimes & Punishments: Sherlock Holmes – Focus Home Interactive
28. Mario Kart 8 – Nintendo
29. Metro Redux – Deep Silver
30. Skylanders Swap Force – Activision
31. Titanfall – EA
32. Skate 3 – EA
33. Rayman Legends – Ubisoft
34. Infamous: First Light – Sony
35. EA Sports UFC – EA
36. Need for Speed: Rivals – EA
37. Just Dance 2014 – Ubisoft
38. Madden NFL 15 – EA
39. LEGO The Hobbit – Warner Bros
40. Resident Evil 6 – Capcom