Nintendo’s portable console still rules the roost in Japan according to the latest sales data provided by Famitsu.
This is partially due to the launch of Yoshi’s New Island in Japan, but largely the result of strong sales of Yokai Watch 2, which is No.1 for the third time in a row.
Level Five’s title launched three weeks ago, and while sales have certainly waned since then (in its first week it sold 1.3m copies, this week it shifted 198,354), it still sold three times more than Nintendo’s latest Yoshi title in No.2.
There was a boost this week in both sales of the 3DS LL and original 3DS, which could be attributed to Yoshi's New Island's launch.
Meanwhile Nintendo’s Wii U is the best selling home console in Japan once again thanks to strong sales from Mario Kart 8.
Sales of the racing title rose by 3,565 units week-on-week, while sales of the hardware itself shot up by 1,340 consoles.
Here’s the hardware Top Ten for the period between July 21st and July 27th:
1. Nintendo 3DS LL 36,313
2. PS Vita 22,263
3. Wii U 8,623
4. PS3 7,109
5. Nintendo 3DS 6,199
6. PS4 5,177
7. PS VitaTV 1,395
8. PSP 201
9. Xbox 360 91
And here’s the software Top Ten:
1. Yokai Watch 2: Ganso/ Honke (Level Five) 3DS –198,354
2. Yoshi's New Island (Nintendo) 3DS – 66,225 (New)
3. Mario Kart 8 (Nintendo) Wii U –17,633
4. Oreshika: Tainted Bloodlines (Sony) Vita – 16,763
5. Tokyo Shinseiroku Operation Abyss (5pb) Vita – 16,182 (New)
6. Corpse Party: BLOOD DRIVE (5pb) Vita –14,135 (New)
7. Taiko Drum Master: Don to Katsu no Jiku Daiboken (Bandai Namco) 3DS – 11,366
8. UNDER NIGHT IN-BIRTH Exe:Late (Arc System Works) PS3 – 10,934 (New)
9. Yokai Watch (Level Five) 3DS – 9,555
10. Atelier Shallie: Alchemist of the Dusk Sea (Gust) PS3 – 8,791