The rumours about New 3DS were correct – the machine will launch in the US and UK on February 13th.
The console will arrive in both New 3DS and New 3DS XL flavours, and in two colours – red and black. Also arriving on the same day are The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask and Monster Hunter Ultimate 4, both of which will come in bundles including themed hardware.
Note that power adapters will again not be included in the box.
Arguably the other big news to emerge from today’s Nintendo Direct are plans to release Wii games for Wii U via the eShop. Also, these new titles will not require the console to switch into ‘Wii’ mode, opening up the possibility of GamePad controlled play and other Wii U-specific functions.
Super Mario Galaxy 2 will be released today followed by Punch Out on January 22nd and Metroid Trilogy on January 29th. All three will be half price for the first week.
Here’s a roundup of some of the other announcements:
- Fire Emblem If in development for 3DS, made by the same team as Awakening at Intelligent Systems.
- Europe and North American release confirmed for Puzzle & Dragons Z and Puzzle & Dragons Super Mario Bros Edition on 3DS. Both games will be released in a single bundle in May.
- Xenoblade Chronicles 3D launches on New 3DS on April 2nd.
- Pokemon Shuffle coming to 3DS on Nintendo eShop. It’s a free-to-play match 3 game that uses time limiting system that users can bypass by buying extra hearts for cash. It’s out in February.
- Kirby and Rainbow Curse getting added Amiibo functionality, unlocking in-game boosts such as extra health bars or dash speed. Amiibos can be used in the game once a day.
- New Amiibo figures are coming in February. The new wave includes Wario and Pac-Man, coming this spring. Oh, and they’re also re-issuing Marth, much to the delight to those who paid through the nose for the previously hard-to-find figure on Amazon.
- New Super Mario series of Amiibo coming on March 20th, including Toad for the first time. Will launch alongside Mario Party 10, which will work with all the new and a couple of the old Amiibo figures. The game features Amiibo Partymode, allowing use of characters as game pieces. Note however that Super Smash Bros data will have to be wiped from any figures you plan on using with Mario Party 10. The game is out March 20th.
- Majora’s Mask 3D DLC is coming to Hyrule Warriors, including a quite terrifying life-like Tingle and new map. That will all be released on February 5th.
- Mario vs Donkey Kong: Tipping Stars will include a level editor. Users can tip the creators of levels they”ve downloaded, unlocking extra creation tools for them. The game will be released on Wii U and 3DS, and a single purchase unlocks both versions. It’s out on March 5th.
- A new Wii U exclusive from Bandai Namco was also confirmed but not name. It’s free-to-play and is currently going by the name Project Treasure.
- Smartphone title Blek is coming to Wii U.