Tag Archives: global

Games account for just 3.3% of piracy

A report from torrent blog TorrentFreak suggests that video game piracy accounts for just 3.3 per cent of all illegally available online content. The site gathered data from thousands of BitTorrent trackers to take s snapshot of what it estimated to be all publicly available torrents at the time. Out …

Read More »

Kinect sales reach 2.5m

Total global sales of Xbox 360 Kinect have now hit 2.5m units, platform holder Microsoft has announced. The device had previously sold 1m units in its first 10 days of availability. These numbers show that an additional 1.5m cameras have sold in the following two weeks. It means that the …

Read More »

StarCraft II shifts 3m copies

Blizzard has confirmed that its massively hyped PC strategy title StarCraft II has now sold in excess of 3m copies worldwide in its first month of availability. The game is already the best selling PC title of the year and the fastest selling RTS ever released. Amazingly, StarCraft II shifted …

Read More »

Starcraft II hits 1m on day one

Publisher Activision Blizzard has confirmed that last week’s new release Starcraft II: Wings of Liberty sold over 1m copies worldwide in its first 24 hours of availability. The numbers have already cemented its position as the best selling game of 2010. Furthermore, it went on to sell in excess of …

Read More »

New Ignition to be Pixar of games

UTV Ignition will leave its sub-distribution days behind as it transforms into a triple-A digital games giant. The company has recently opened three studios in Tokyo, Florida and London, and has hired former IGN Europe chief Justin Keeling to head up its global digital strategy. This includes recruiting developers to …

Read More »

Handheld piracy worth £29bn

28,772,303,165.695 – that’s the amount that a recent study by Japanese trade body The Computer Entertainment Suppliers Association reckons piracy has cost the global handheld video games industry.Andriasang reports that the number comes from the joint efforts of the Tokyo Game Show organisers and Tokyo University’s Baba Lab and relates …

Read More »

Handheld piracy worth £29bn

28,772,303,165.695 – that’s the amount that a recent study by Japanese trade body The Computer Entertainment Suppliers Association reckons piracy has cost the global handheld video games industry.Andriasang reports that the number comes from the joint efforts of the Tokyo Game Show organisers and Tokyo University’s Baba Lab and relates …

Read More »

PS3 market share hits 31%

It’s a big ask, but it’s possible that Sony’s PS3 could just catch Xbox 360 in terms of total global sales by the end of the 2010 – that’s according to a new report from Strategy Analytics, as reported by Industry Gamers. It claims that as of Q1 2010, the …

Read More »

New boxed sales just 54% of market

Sales of brand new boxed games on the High Street now account for just 54 per cent of the overall video games market according to a new study entitled the Newzoo Games Market Report. The remaining 46 per cent, it claims, is accounted for by sales of pre-owned games, DLC, …

Read More »

Wii captured 47% of market in 09

Nintendo’s Wii accounted for 47 per cent of the global home console market in 2009, according to a report from Ibis Capital. Gamasutra reports that of the remainder, Xbox 360 claimed 35 per cent of the market and PS3 just 18 per cent. Total global console revenues hit $30bn. Looking …

Read More »