The latest entries in the wildly popular Yo-Kai Watch series, Sushi/Tempura, were the best-selling titles in Japan this week, according to market data from Famitsu.
The games sold 40,026 units between them, a dip of 46 per cent week-on-week. It outsold last week’s top-selling game, Bandai Namco Tales of Beseria.
The PS4 SKU of that release was No.1 last week, but that dropped to second place with sales plummeting 83 per cent. Meanwhile the PS3 edition, which was third place last week, dropped to No.4.
In third place was a brand new entry in the charts: King of Fighters XIV from SNK Playmore. That game launched on PS4 and sold 23,242 copies. It wasn’t the only new title either: Sengoku Oteme: Legend Battle from Planet G for the PlayStation Vita debuted at No.5 with 16,129 units sold.
That title had a better week on than Sony’s No Man’s Sky, which sold 15,997 copies for PS4 and debuted in sixth place.
The best-selling hardware of the week was Nintendo’s New 3DS LL, with sales dipping 22.5 per cent week-on-week. Meanwhile PS4 only sold6,760 consoles due to stock shortages. It’s entirely possible that this is Sony clearing the retail channel ahead of the launch of the PlayStation 4 Slim.
Absent from the Top 10 is new Metroid Prime title, Federation Force. According to Eurogamer this game is also missing from the Media Create Top 20, meaning it sold less than4,441 copies.
1. Yo-Kai Watch 3: Sushi/Tempura (Level 5) 3DS – 40,026
2. Tales of Berseria (Bandai Namco) PS4 – 26,829
3. The King of Fighters XIV (SNK Playmore) PS4 – 23,242 (New)
4. Tales of Berseria (Bandai Namco) PS3 – 16,652
5. Sengoku Otome: Legend Battle (Planet G) Vita – 16,129 (New)
6. No Man’s Sky (Sony) PS4 – 15,997 (New)
7. Sengoku Basara: Sanada Yukimura-den (Capcom) PS4 – 15,161 (New)
8. Hatsune Miku: Project Diva X HD (Sega) PS4 – 13,781 (New)
9. Puzzle & Dragons X: Kami no Sho / Ryu no Sho (GungHo) 3DS – 13,632
10. Sengoku Basara: Sanada Yukimura-den (Capcom) PS3 – 11,116 (New)
And here are the hardware rankings:
1. New Nintendo 3DS LL, 16,585
2. PS Vita, 9,458
3. PS4, 6,760
4. New Nintendo 3DS, 3,901
5. Wii U, 4,157
6. PS3, 866
7. Nintendo 3DS LL, 177
8. Nintendo 3DS, 125
9. Xbox One, 31